Old 28-10-2017, 06:18 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Frank Frank is offline

Default Freeze

On 10/28/2017 10:20 AM, George Shirley wrote:
Weather heads are saying we may have a hard freeze by next week. That
means some of the garden will be pulp soon, particularly the year old
sweet peppers that are still producing quite nicely. Here we go, back to
store bought sweet peppers, mostly grown in water to get large ones
quickly. I really don't mind them as they are right tasty and last a
good while in the refrigerator.

Got up to 44F this morning and, for the first time of winter, I'm
wearing a long sleeve shirt and long pants and the heat is on in the
house. The heating system is much cheaper than electricity as we have
pretty cheap natural gas here in Texas.

At least the grass may slow down it's growth as we have to mow about
three times a month to stay ahead. We have a "tumbler" type composter
that, at the moment, stuffed full. We shred all paper and cardboard that
comes in the house and the composter gets a good bit of that plus
kitchen veggie trims, egg shells, etc. When you live on a pile of gumbo
clay you have to do something to enrich what passes for dirt here.

Lettuce, cabbage, kale, etc. plus carrots and beets are doing well in
the winter garden. Looks like we will be canning a lot of veggies before
to very long. The only cans we open nowadays are beans we can't grow
here, soups, mushrooms, etc. Heck, I even compost the labels on those
cans but have to recycle the cans themselves.

The dawg is hanging around under her afghan my elder sister made for my
dogs years ago. Plus she wants to get under the blanket now rather than
lay on top. Right now she's snoozing on the couch behind my desk chair
and brought along her afghan.

George

I'm still cutting grass but nice thing, living further north, you don't
have to cut grass for about 5 months. It may snow but you never need to
shovel snow once a week for the whole season.