Old 08-11-2017, 01:37 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Where is everyone?

On 11/7/2017 5:19 PM, T wrote:
On 11/07/2017 02:48 PM, George Shirley wrote:
On 11/7/2017 4:21 PM, T wrote:
On 11/07/2017 05:23 AM, George Shirley wrote:
Surely we Texan's are not the only gardeners still gardening! We are
still getting warm days here in early November. Today at 0710 the
temperature is 72F and expected to rise to 82F.

Ball and chain around my leg updating computers.

In the words of Bugs Bunny, "It's a living"

I got my first computer in 1982, and fell in love with them. I used to
be a high speed typist before the days of strokes, could get 145
letters a minute. Now, with fingers I can't feel very good I still get
20 or 30 words a minute and sometimes more.

That old Osborne One was a decent machine and then came along all the
really fast stuff that was smarter than some of my kin folk. G The
O1 did good duty overseas working and we got the letters off on
company planes back to the states so our get could hear what we were
doing. That and two vacations a year kept us close to our kids, and
later with our first grands, who are now in their thirties. Time does
fly.

Some of the folks I worked with overseas worked on computers bigger
than the house I live in. Since I was the top dog in safety I would
inspect the computer building. Mostly because it was really air
conditioned and learned a lot of stuff about computers, probably more
than I needed. G

I don't miss the days of walking around in chemical plants and
refineries and even offices. I don't miss fighting fires, gas
releases, and wearing all that protective gear. I do miss getting to
see the latest and greatest stuff like computers, etc. when they first
come out.

Heck, when I was a young fellow and learned how to use typewriters
that mystified my folks I thought it was great, at least it beat a
fountain pen or a pencil. I just wonder what else is coming down the
pipe that my grands, and great grands will get wide eyed and want one
of them just for me.

I remember when the first back space and erase tape came out.Â* I
was in heaven!

Keep working on the electronics T, we're going to need all of them.

I get tired of it every so often.Â* I tell myself that my ability
to handle issues and roll with the punches is why folks call me.
I always prevail -- I am really, really good at it -- but sometimes
I wish things would just go right every so often.Â* But if they always
did, no one would call me.Â* It is really annoying when I have to fix
my own stuff.

In my next life, I want to be a fishing guide.Â* In this life
TROUT FEAR ME!Â* I have been catching a lot of fish lately,
take a picture of them, let them go.

There's not much money in being a guide of any kind. You need to love it
to like it. I have guided deer and bear hunters plus fishermen on
occasion. Grew up in the Piney woods of SE Texas and I started guiding
at about fourteen. Just a few jobs a year but money was money where I
grew up. Quit that when I went in the Navy at seventeen, never took it
up again. Bad memories of some of the people I guided, just a few takes
a lot out of the job. If there was a job, or maybe two, I would work for
them. Finally worked for myself and liked it best. I couldn't talk to
the boss without looking in a mirror and had to behave all the time.
Even wrote a few science fiction shorts but those eventually went away.
If it looks like I might like it I would do the job. My old folks all
worked with their hands and did well. I finally worked with my brain and
a lot of fun, met a lot of nice people and a number of the back ends of
a horse. At 78 the dog and I sleep a lot, I keep a good bit of the house
clean, do the grocery shopping (a bunch of us old geezers shop for our
homes on a Friday and all ride the electric carts) as long as we don't
race or play bumper cars the store's manager leaves us alone. All of us
are US military geezers of one sort or the other and we attend the
funerals of those who have gone on. Life is still good, even if I have
glasses, a cane, and a handicap plate on my car.