Old 08-11-2017, 03:20 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Where is everyone?

On 11/7/2017 9:22 PM, Muggles wrote:
On 11/7/2017 8:37 AM, Frank wrote:
On 11/7/2017 8:23 AM, George Shirley wrote:
Surely we Texan's are not the only gardeners still gardening! We are
still getting warm days here in early November. Today at 0710 the
temperature is 72F and expected to rise to 82F.

Some of the spring/summer garden is still growing and producing and
our (winter) garden is also growing and producing. We have to mow the
grass every two weeks whether or not we want to or the busy bodies
start calling about "sloppy" yards. Yes, even Texas has these people,
both male and female, most of whom have people come in weekly to mow
and trim and fight to get the beloved "Yard of the Month" sign on
their front lawn.

We may be getting some days soon in the low sixties but I have yet to
see anything on my weather app that says freeze or hard freeze, or
even rain at this time.

Mean time we are still on air conditioning most of the time but
generally can turn it off at night as we still have some low seventies
to enjoy the saving of electricity for a bit.

The Rat Terrier seems to think she will freeze to death at temps below
80F so seeks her blanket a lot of the time. She is getting a bit old,
turning ten years in May of this year and her muzzle is getting white
too. The great grands pet her occasionally and she likes that plus
she's shedding her summer coat so I have to brush her daily. At least
the plant on the back porch enjoys the brushing too. The dog hair goes
into "Herman's" pot and the hair has a good bit of protein in it so
the plant grows as the dog shrinks. G

Our fairly large family is talking about who does Thanksgiving this
year. Luckily, as the senior portion of the family, we only have to
bring a couple of lemon meringue pies that Grannie makes and then we
get to eat a lot of good food that all of our kids, grands, and even
the elder great grands cook up. And, now, the doctor has put me on a
diet, need to lose 20 lbs off my 208 and, so far, have lost four lbs
without starving to death. G The dog misses the leftovers too.

George

Season over and next big job is leaves.Â* Going to wait until they all
fall then call my tree man to take out a couple and clean up others.
Grass cutting is over although I might use it to help remove leaves.

I gave up on the garden. It got overgrown, and the neighbor behind us
lets their vines on their side of the fence go wild along with cane that
is planted on the back of the fence. It keeps creeping into my garden,
and it's almost as tall as the telephone pole it's planted nearby.

After everything dies I'll wait 'til it's all dried up good and begin
clearing it out. I'm so disgusted with the neighbors cane and vines that
I have to fight with every summer I'm just not sure I even want to try a
garden next year.

I'd really love to get me a tool I can just wack it all down with that
would work with my 18 volt battery tools. Any suggestions?

One thing you can do is put a barrier between the neighbors plantings.
Something like a steel or aluminum garden barrier, best about six inches
wide. Dig a small trench along your fence line to keep the cane, in
particular, from sending roots to your side of the fence.

Another thing is to talk to the neighbor and ask them to put in a
barrier on their side of the fence to keep his stuff from getting into
your stuff. Sometimes the neighbor is the south end of a north bound
horse and then you have to do it yourself.

I've had that problem a few times and, mainly, the neighbor does the
right thing. Sometimes they are the horse and things can get worse but
it is your property and shouldn't have to put up with a neighbor who
thinks he or she can do whatever they want on their side of the fence.

If you've already done that then you have to go to "warfare", either put
in the barrier yourself, or start pouring plant killer stuff along the
line. I prefer gun fire but society doesn't like it to much. VBG

As for the tool, go to your local Lowe's or whatever you might have and
ask about it. I bought our latest house because it backs on a pipeline
right of way and a detention pond plus the power poles for the
subdivision. Makes it much simpler as we can weed whack behind our fence
as I put in a gate. Wife and dog walk around the detention pond daily
for their exercise and I sit in a lawn chair and watch, just in case.

We lived for years in an area that had wild cane growing every where so
I do have experience on that stuff and have carefully avoided it since.

George