Old 30-11-2017, 12:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Tree of 40 fruit

On 30/11/2017 00:39, wrote:
Hi everyone.

I'd like to explain in the simplest possible terms how to grow a
grafted tree of 40 different fruit to someone that knows nothing
about gardening. And I don't know all the details myself! The

40 sounds a bit of a push unless you allow different varieties of the
same fruit. I suppose a multistemmed variety of wild prunus with as many
prunus cultivars bud grafted onto long supported stems might get you
there. Does it have to be 40? You will spend most of the time just
reading out all the names. 3 or 4 is a lot more practical.

audience will include interested children as well as adults. I don't
need to touch on details they can learn for themselves.

Help!

Family apple trees usually limit themselves to 3 or 4 since you have to
match the vigour of the stock scion pair to the next tier down and there
is a limit to how much top growth the rootstock can support.

They also need careful watching or one variety will run away - usually
the one directly connected to the rootstock. I have Sunset on Egremont
Russet on M9 and it works very well even though the russet is dominant.

That's 3 if you allowed a rootstock sucker to fruit as well.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown