Old 01-12-2017, 08:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David[_24_] David[_24_] is offline

Default Tree of 40 fruit

On Thu, 30 Nov 2017 08:15:10 +0000, Chris Hogg wrote:

On Wed, 29 Nov 2017 16:39:27 -0800 (PST), wrote:

Hi everyone.

I'd like to explain in the simplest possible terms how to grow a grafted
tree of 40 different fruit to someone that knows nothing about
gardening. And I don't know all the details myself! The audience will
include interested children as well as adults. I don't need to touch on
details they can learn for themselves.

Help!

NT

I have my doubts about 40 different fruit on a single tree; maybe half a
dozen, such as six stone fruits (peach, nectarine, damson, plum,
apricot,) or a mix of apples and pears perhaps, or several citrus fruits
(orange, lemon, grapefruit, lime, mandarin etc), but

You may get some useful info from one of the web sites listed here
https://tinyurl.com/yb6lmme7

Ah, but I stand corrected! I've just found this lot:
https://tinyurl.com/ycsq424r which may give you the info you want.

Fascinating.

I had got as far as concluding that you would have to start with an
established host tree for it to be strong enough to support many different
grafts without each graft fighting all the others.

From that point, as far as I can see you could have a family tree with any
number of varieties if you started with, say, a 10 year old tree.

I must say that it is an attractive idea. Having a main crop apple that
you like the most, then adding a branch here and there of different
varieties, possibly to increase fertilisation as well as variety.

Noted that the original aim was an art project to create multi-colour
blossom displays.

I wonder how old a tree has to be before it stops accepting grafts.

There is many an ancient apple tree around which could perhaps have a new
lease of life.

Cheers

Dave R

---