Old 19-12-2017, 04:25 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Muggles[_4_] Muggles[_4_] is offline

Default borer resistant squish

On 12/18/2017 7:07 AM, songbird wrote:
songbird wrote:

also named in that thread were rumbo squash
which i've never heard of and haven't grown.

the butternut or buttercup squash we grow
here are somewhat resistant in that they may
get borer damage but they will keep going.
a few of the plants may die, but not all.

now that we've got cross-breeds and seeds
harvested from several years they seem to
be resistant enough.

songbird

I love squash, but can't seem to ever get much fruit because the borers
always kill the plants right about the time the fruit just gets started
producing. I only have a few small raised beds, so can't really plant a
lot in hopes I'll still get some the borers missed.

Any ideas how to beat the borers?

--
Maggie