Old 16-01-2018, 08:17 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
songbird[_2_] songbird[_2_] is offline

Default bug cycles

wrote:
songbird wrote:

what are you up to in the mid-winter while
waiting for it to warm up outside?

When it's cold, I'm handling firewood and stoking a wood-fired
heater, covering and uncovering a few garden items: Eggplant,
strawberries and, on the coldest nights, English peas. Have spinach and
carrot seedlings. Deciding on when & where for more spinach, more
carrots, more mustard greens, more turnips and (in February or so) more
peas. Winter came late this year, so onions, spinach and carrots got a
late start. The fall-planted mustard greens have bolted and are in full
bloom, to the delight of the hardy insects. Won't need that bed until
much later in the year so the butterfly fodder is safe 'til then.

strawberries don't need covering if they're
not near blooming.

That Damned Truck died months ago and must be replaced before next
firewood and manure hauling season. Bought a car, primarily to avoid
walking; I truly hate walking. First sedan since can't remember when.
Don't like sedans (they don't haul anything but asses) but gave up
looking for a suitable station wagon. This one's an aging but unusually
well preserved Mercedes-Benz (W124 chassis, 260E) which may evolve into
another hobby.... This is my third M-B (I'm getting pretty old) so I
guess I'm either discerning and discriminating or, more likely, a damned
slow learner.... Can't just run to the import parts emporium out here
in the disappearing boonies so I'm ordering in a selection of
user-replaceable parts without which it won't operate: Radiator hoses,
belt, distributor cap, etc. Items for which a person who truly hates to
walk doesn't want to wait ;-)

perhaps you can pick up a small trailer instead? for the
price difference might be worth considering. and/or just
have stuff delivered. especially when you consider what it
costs for insurance and maint these days...

The raccoon infestation has lightened up a bit but they're still
around. In the process of befriending a "new" stray cat. He's made it
as far as the front porch, after very many days. This cat makes a total
of eight. I'm popular with the nearby vet. I can't believe I'm putting
out ±$100/month just for systemic flea and parasite jive:

you are kind, but i suppose it also makes sure that
any other kitties around aren't getting diseases.

the other evening we had some friends over for dinner
and he flat out said that if i see any feral cats i
should shoot them immediately. we have the semi-feral
kitty we see once in a while, but i'm pretty sure that
is the neighbor's cat coming through to supplement the
diet (we usually have small and larger critters it can
catch). i couldn't shoot any of them anyways. i have
a hard enough time killing a bug let alone anything
bigger.

"Revolution"—expensive but effective stuff. I'd broadcast nematodes in
the "yard" to eat the fleas but I'd have to cover at least two acres,
I'd estimate, plus nobody can tell me what _else_ the nematodes eat so.
Besides, I'd still have to address hearworms and intestinal parasites
and they just won't listen.

the only time i've ever tried to talk to them it has
been in barftalk and, no, i don't think they understood
that either...

songbird