Old 09-02-2018, 04:40 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Nyssa[_2_] Nyssa[_2_] is offline

Default FODMAP

songbird wrote:

Nyssa wrote:
Is it the acid in the tomato that causes you problems?

i wish it was, but no, it is something else and not
a digestive problem, it ends up being a skin rash. i
can get away with a slice of tomato here or there or
a squirt of ketchup on a burger once in a while, but
that is about it.

i had a sloppy joe today, first one in a few years,
i'll be interested to see how close to the line i came
and if i skirted it or not... last year i had lasagna
for a week and i did pay for that, but it was worth it.

I seem to remember reading several years ago about some
varieties of tomatoes that are bred to be lower acid than
"standard" or heirloom varieties. That was back when they
began recommending home canners add acid in the form of
lemon juice, vinegar, or ascorbic acid granules to their
home-canned tomatoes before processing.

yes. i'm pretty aware of acid/non-acid issues in
food processing because we only do non-pressure cooked
items. pickles, tomatoes and tomato juice are what we
do the most of these days. anything low acid gets
frozen.

If the acid is causing you problems, perhaps trying to
grow a few of the low-acid varieties might give you some
relief and allow you to enjoy your old recipes.

Just a thought.

Nyssa, who still hasn't found an affordable type of
fencing for her garden beds

we've managed to get lucky a few times and have other
people give us their fences. it is hodge-podge looking
in places, but ...

songbird

The rash reminds me of a problem I had when I was very
young...kindergarten age...when I developed a rash on
my elbows. It was thought that I was allergic to tomatoes
or strawberries and the doctor just prescribed some
cream to put on the rash.

I liked both tomatoes and strawberries, so I wasn't too
pleased with either not eating them or the smelly cream.

By the next year, I was happily eating both strawberries
and tomatoes and no rash returned...ever.

Odd that I seemed to have out-grown the problem and that
you have grown *into* the problem.

Maybe if you're lucky you will *out* grow the problem
you grew into. lol

As for the deer and critter problem, I'm now thinking
about planting an herb garden in one bed close to the
deer pathway to discourage them from approaching the
real food in the other beds plus planting some marigolds
around the edges of other beds.

Plus I have a short length of chicken wire I may try
around a vegetable bed when it's getting started to
discourage the deer from nibbling down to nubs.

More ideas are welcome. Anything that's free or
inexpensive, that is.

Nyssa, who figures spending hundreds on fencing to
protect a few vegetables isn't very frugal