Old 09-02-2018, 08:21 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Terry Coombs Terry Coombs is offline

Default FODMAP

On 2/9/2018 11:11 AM, Frank wrote:
On 2/9/2018 11:37 AM, songbird wrote:
Nyssa wrote:
The rash reminds me of a problem I had when I was very
young...kindergarten age...when I developed a rash on
my elbows. It was thought that I was allergic to tomatoes
or strawberries and the doctor just prescribed some
cream to put on the rash.

I liked both tomatoes and strawberries, so I wasn't too
pleased with either not eating them or the smelly cream.

By the next year, I was happily eating both strawberries
and tomatoes and no rash returned...ever.

Odd that I seemed to have out-grown the problem and that
you have grown *into* the problem.

Maybe if you're lucky you will *out* grow the problem
you grew into. lol

Â*Â* i surely do wish it to be so.Â* after eating tons of
tomatoes over my lifetime to have that come along...Â* Mom
sometimes doesn't remember when she cooks she's so used
to making things her way.

Â*Â* i used to go out and pick them and eat quite a
few and also while processing to put them up, i'd
nibble bits and pieces here and there.Â* the toughest
thing to remember is to not drink the extra juice
at the end of a canning run.

Â*Â* and one of our favorite easy meals is macaroni
and tomatoes or tomato juice.

Â*Â* well, pretty much any italian dish we made had
plenty of tomatoes in there and that was the basic
cuisine of ours (me being half italian).Â* when i
was off living on my own a small can of tomato paste
could be a snack at times.

Â*Â* i really miss the umami flavor that comes from
them in so many ways.

Â*Â* we don't grow as many tomatoes now that i can't
eat them, but Mom will still use them for her cooking
she does for other people.Â* today she'll be making
goulash.

As for the deer and critter problem, I'm now thinking
about planting an herb garden in one bed close to the
deer pathway to discourage them from approaching the
real food in the other beds plus planting some marigolds
around the edges of other beds.

Â*Â* we've found out that it may help, but don't count on
it.Â* when we have years with really deep snow the deer
will come along and eat the cedar trees and the rabbits
will too along with chewing off some of the bark on
other plants (including poison sumac, but i think we
finally got rid of that invasion).

Â*Â* even plants that are touted as "deer proof" may get
sampled by young deer before they learn and given enough
young deer samples it can still do in some plants.Â* so
we've learned that anything we want protected must be
fenced.

Plus I have a short length of chicken wire I may try
around a vegetable bed when it's getting started to
discourage the deer from nibbling down to nubs.

More ideas are welcome. Anything that's free or
inexpensive, that is.

Nyssa, who figures spending hundreds on fencing to
protect a few vegetables isn't very frugal

Â*Â* exactly my thinking for fencing the rest of the yard
i don't want to spend a lot of money for what is pretty
much extra and non-essential gardens, but when the deer
and rabbits eat a lot of the strawberries out there i
do grumble a bit.Â* i'm expanding my strawberry patches
outside the fences because i also like them as a ground-
cover plant beside the berries.Â* some years i've gotten
plenty of extra berries and then there are years like
last season where i barely had any (between the late
frost and deer/rabbits grazing).

Â*Â* the good news is that it is a one-time expense and
if the fence is strong (chicken wire is too thin to last
very long IMO) it should last long enough to pay for
itself.

we've already invested in fencing the main veggie gardens
and that was only a few hundred $ at the time, but the
mistake there was the wrong kind of fence along the bottom
which does not really exclude rabbits or groundhogs.
and i was surprised to see the groundhogs climbing to get
through.

Â*Â* for discouraging chipmunks you need even finer mesh
(1/2 inch or less).Â* nothing plastic has ever been
worth it.Â* it crumbles or tears too easy, rabbits will
chew right through it, etc.

Â*Â* anyways, there is still quite a bit of room inside the
main fenced gardens that i could use.Â* i expanded my
strawberry patch a few years ago and there is still
hundreds of square feet i can reclaim from pathways and
the carpeting/limestone mulched areas which are just
there.Â* also some other gardens in there which are all
lavender which neither of us can really touch without
issues (reactions similar to poison ivy).

Â*Â* for making some extra $ when we walk we pick up cans
along the road as Michigan has a $0.10 deposit.Â* it may
not be much but over the course of a year it adds up.
doing odd-jobs and lawn work for others is also a way
to make some extra $.

Â*Â* if i were living in the city, this time of the year i'd
be shoveling snow for a few extra as i could use more
exercise and it would be a good reason to get outside
more.

Â*Â* snowing out nicely now, big fluffy flakes drifting down,
more often it is blowing sideways...Â*

Â*Â* songbird

Deer and shade pushed any gardening I do close to the house and deck.

The only sure fire way to keep deer away, short of dogs running loose
in the yard is fencing.Â* They can leap an 6 foot fence but one that
high is not needed.Â* Simple netting stretched between posts deters
them.Â* Deer are browsers and the world is their salad bowl.Â* They will
eat your garden plants before there is any fruiting.Â* Only thing they
did not eat in my garden was onions.Â* I have mature chestnut trees now
and nuts really attract them as do apples and acorns.Â* I've had to
throw stuff at them to chase them, even might take more than a
firecracker.

Â* A .490" round ball at about 1800 FPS should take care of that problem
nicely ... I'm moving my apiary over by the garden , Mama thinks the
hives were too close to the new deck - and she's right . The current
plan is to reconfigure the electric fence I have around the garden and
swap fence chargers and add some chicken wire along to bottom to keep
the rabbits and 'dillos out . The 'lectric fence has worked OK to keep
the deer out of the gardenÂ* and the bear that tore up a beehive last
spring out of the bee yard .

--
Snag
Ain't no dollar sign on