Old 20-02-2018, 10:27 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
T[_4_] T[_4_] is offline

Default LED grow lights for plant starting

On 02/20/2018 02:27 PM, T wrote:
On 02/19/2018 02:44 PM, songbird wrote:
Frank wrote:
Looking at internet I think it best to buy LED lights designed for
growing plants as their output is in the most useful part of the spectra
for plants.Â* You would not like them in the house for normal use as they
would be a different color.

Â*Â* yes, and perhaps look into UV protection too that
would be needed.Â* you don't want to mess up your eyes
or have skin troubles...

Â*Â* songbird

Hi Songbird,

Usually, pl;ants use red and blue for photosynthesis,
but not always.Â* here is a fun article on ti:

What colors of light are used in land plant photosynthesis?
http://scienceline.ucsb.edu/getkey.php?key=2550

Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* The color of light used for photosynthesis depends
Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* on the pigment in the plant.For example, green plants'
Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* with chlorophylls and carotenoids have a maximum
Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* activity with violet-blue and red light. Basically,
Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* whatever color the plant is, that is the color of
Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* light that it is reflecting instead of absorbing
Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* and using for photosynthesis. If you click on the
Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* different links I have included, it will take you
Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* to different wikipedia pages that provide additional
Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* information.

So, basically, the color you see on the leaves is the
color it is NOT using.

:-)

-T

Oh ya, plant light tend to leave off the green