Old 01-03-2018, 11:08 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
songbird[_2_] songbird[_2_] is offline

Default borer resistant squish

T wrote:
On 02/28/2018 04:43 AM, songbird wrote:

we always plant our peppers from starts which the
greenhouse takes care of. our season is probably
about as long as yours here and we have plenty of
peppers (several rounds). just depends upon the
late storms or early frosts as to how many we get.
last year i was picking peppers pretty late in the
season (into October) as we didn't have any hard
enough frosts to knock out the plants completely.

for me red peppers have replaced tomatoes and i
stock the freezer pretty well with roasted red
peppers that i can use in other things eventually.

The only greenhouse pepper are ancho. And I get a
few off them. My favorites -- the new mexico red
variants -- I am lucky if I get one picking. I
have to grow them from seed.

What kind of red pepper do you grow?

i've grown a few different kinds, one must be
generic enough as it is just labelled red pepper at
the greenhouse and it is shaped and sized about
the same as any green pepper i've had (usually
California Wonder is what we grow for green peppers
but these are not them because CW turns purple/brown
when it gets ripe here). the other type is called
Red Knight and it is an F1 hybrid and is supposed
to be red in 77 days, they get pretty big (sometimes
the size of both my fists put together). i can eat
several at a time.

that sounds about right for what i've got here
from them - seems mid-August until whenever the
hard frosts take them out.

none of what we grow is spicy/hot.

songbird