Old 03-03-2018, 03:38 AM posted to rec.gardens
Terry Coombs Terry Coombs is offline

Default Re-powering the tiller

On 2/28/2018 10:03 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:

Â* Oh dear me dear me , the free tiller won't start ... again this year
. Always been difficult and I'm tired of throwing money - and more
importantly , time - at a Briggs that's at least 20 years old and
finicky . So I get on eBay , and there's a guy selling 6 hp Honda
"OHC" motors for around a hundred bucks . Most likely it's an OHV
motor , but still it's probably twice what that B&S put out when new .
The reviews I saw all said "like brand new" , these are supposed to be
from power washers that had bad pumps and all have just a few hours so
I bought one . We'll see on Monday , it's supposed to be coming on the
FedEx truck . The rest of this unit is in pretty good shape , the
gearbox at the bottom end runs cool and turns smooth , the only real
wear item is the drive belt - it uses a v-belt for drive from the
motor to the shaft down to the foot . Gotta get 'er fixed , the season
is fast approaching when I'll need it . Just got back the results of
soil tests , and got some amendments to make to the soil .

Â* Motor came today , we be tillin' . This is a fixed-speed motor ,
which I can change easily . And it's like brand new . Bolted it on ,
added oil and gas , started on the 3rd pull . I need to see if I can
find that other pair of tines (got 2 each side now , as stock) , I'm
betting this motor will pull the load . More power , ar ar ar .

--
Snag
Ain't no dollar sign on