Old 15-03-2018, 01:40 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
songbird[_2_] songbird[_2_] is offline

Default Peat Pots

Terry Coombs wrote:

and **** Poor Performance . I don't understand it , the same seed , soil
, and growing conditions and the plastic cells far outdo the little
strips of 8 peat pots . I like the concept , just slit it and bury it
without disturbing the roots too much . But the whole thing doesn't work
unless the seedlings actually grow . I planted 4 kinds of peppers in
these , multiple seeds per cell because I know they're old and the germ
rate is likely low - did the same with some other peppers and the
tomatoes in the plastic cells . The peat pots had exactly 2 seeds
germinate of probably 64 or more seeds . The plastic were over-run , and
in fact all the seedlings now in peat were germinated in plastic . Even
allowing for the stress of being moved , they just ain't gettin' it .
They have nice color , look good , just aren't growing as fast . I'm
wondering if I need some supplemental N or something - maybe a light
shot of Miracle Grow , since it's high in N at 24/8/16 . I just don't
know what to do at this point , but I'd like to save these seedlings .
They're extras to me , but I planned to give them to a neighbor (the one
with the rabbits) . He works for a living and doesn't have the time I do
to devote to this stuff .

almost all seed starting materials should be pretty
low in actual nutrients (to avoid fungal/rot issues)
thus for those plants with smaller seeds you will need
to supplement nutrients earlier to keep them going
until they are planted out.

other than not having the space for doing starts i
also figured out the costs involved and am happy with
the local greenhouse doing them for us.

songbird