Old 16-03-2018, 09:53 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
T[_4_] T[_4_] is offline

Default Peat Pots

On 03/15/2018 08:10 PM, wrote:
Terry Coombs wrote:

I don't understand it , the same seed , soil
, and growing conditions and the plastic cells far outdo the little
strips of 8 peat pots . I like the concept , just slit it and bury it
without disturbing the roots too much .

I've never got satisfactory performance from peat or moss pots.and
remove them completely from purchased plants. Been a long time since I
bought-in plants, though. My favorite nursery containers are
inexpensive ±2" terra cotta pots. The pots decay very slowly, if kept
wet, but last for years with seasonal use and may easily be sterilized.
Second fave is store-brand uncoated paper cups from the supermarket.
The paper cups compost fairly quickly, if kept wet, but mine go into the
regular compost place and not directly into the garden.

Same here. When I turn over my ground pots every spring, the peat
pot is still in tact.

Sometimes the root grow out the bottom of the peat pots, so I
delicately try to rip the bottoms out before planting and I
"seem" to get good results. The rest of the pot stays in tact.

There are some pots out there made up of Cow Skat and those
I have never had an issue with. I believe Bonnie uses them.

Cow poop! Now 1001 uses for it!