Old 19-03-2018, 10:41 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Terry Coombs Terry Coombs is offline

Default Peat Pots

On 3/19/2018 5:03 PM, Muggles wrote:
On 3/16/2018 5:15 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
On 3/16/2018 4:53 PM, T wrote:
On 03/15/2018 08:10 PM, wrote:
Terry Coombs wrote:

I don't understand it , the same seed , soil
, and growing conditions and the plastic cells far outdo the little
strips of 8 peat pots . I like the concept , just slit it and bury it
without disturbing the roots too much .
Â*Â*Â*Â*I've never got satisfactory performance from peat or moss pots.and
remove them completely from purchased plants.Â* Been a long time since I
bought-in plants, though.Â* My favorite nursery containers are
inexpensive ±2" terra cotta pots.Â* The pots decay very slowly, if kept
wet, but last for years with seasonal use and may easily be sterilized.
Second fave is store-brand uncoated paper cups from the supermarket.
The paper cups compost fairly quickly, if kept wet, but mine go into the
regular compost place and not directly into the garden.

Same here.Â* When I turn over my ground pots every spring, the peat
pot is still in tact.

Sometimes the root grow out the bottom of the peat pots, so I
delicately try to rip the bottoms out before planting and I
"seem" to get good results.Â* The rest of the pot stays in tact.

There are some pots out there made up of Cow Skat and those
I have never had an issue with.Â* I believe Bonnie uses them.

Cow poop!Â* Now 1001 uses for it!

Â* I watered lightly with a weak Miracle Grow solution , just the stuff
in peat . We'll see what happens .

My husband has set up an aquaponics systems in our spare room, and he's
growing all sorts of veggies with it. He is going to move most of the
outside and grow the veggies in a bucket with water! Some of his plants
he decided to grow in pots, though. He uses those peat pots with some
potting perlite/vermiculite to grow some miniature tomato plants inside,
and he also has onions, cilantro, and a couple other herbs he is growing
in water, too. One thing he is growing that is doing great is celery!
He can grow that indoors all year round if he wants to.

Some of those mini tomatoes are already blooming and they don't get
taller than 12-18 inches, so he never had to even plant them in dirt or
put them outside in buckets with water. It's mostly an experiment, but
it's turning out fairly well, so far.

Our raised bed garden outside is in need of repairs, so I had to
completely disassemble one 4'x 8' raised bed, remove all the screws and
nails and stack the wood. Then I shoved out all of the dirt and put it
into 2 other nearby beds so we can rebuild the broken beds. We've got
part of the old bed next to it shored up and we're going to marry the
new beds to the remaining old beds. We both ran out of gas yesterday
right about the time we got our first spring rainfall. Today, it turned
cold again, so we won't get back out there again until it warms up a
little bit more.

I've got about a third of the garden left to amend and till . I have
time though , I won't be setting anything out for around a month .
Strawberries are doing OK , all but 2 (of 29) are showing new growth . I
must be doing something right , we had some very heavy rain last night
and there was no erosion out in the garden . Apparently all that
decomposing straw I've been tilling in has helped ...

--
Snag
Ain't no dollar sign on