Old 21-03-2018, 05:14 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Muggles[_5_] Muggles[_5_] is offline

Default Foiling Bugs and Bambi

On 3/21/2018 7:22 AM, Terry Coombs wrote:
On 3/20/2018 10:25 PM, Muggles wrote:
On 3/19/2018 5:58 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:

We have a neighborhood feral cat that the neighbor has been feeding off
and on so it has decided our block is it's domain.Â* My husband
thinks it
may be sleeping under our house and getting in through a small hole,
but
he also said he hasn't seen any mice at all in the house or around the
house, so I guess the cat is eating everything it can find!
Â*Â* Miss Kitty isn't feral , but doesn't like to be held , and will only
take a little petting before she jets off . That's just right for us .
We feed her , but not necessarily enough to totally meet her needs .
Some may disapprove , but she also manages to catch and eat an
occasional bird . I call that natural selection ... and it hasn't seemed
to affect the local population other than to make them more watchful .

We used to have an orange tabby cat that was strictly and outdoor cat.
He'd catch birds every now and then, but one time he caught a some sort
of animal, either a gopher or a large rat, in the back yard.Â* I saw it
out the kitchen window and by the time I got out the back door to
dispose of the thing the cat had half of it eaten! ugh!Â* I just walked
away and let him finish.Â* Tiger looked like he was pregnant with a
litter 10 kittens for a week after eating that thing, too.Â* He wasn't
meowing for food for a while, that's for sure.

Â* I've seen Miss Kitty with a tree rat (a rat, not a squirrel) that was
easily half her size . Squealing like crazy until she shook it , I went
out to see what was the ruckus . I don't know how long it took her to
eat it , she was way up under the deck . We don't see ground squirrels
any more either ...

That reminds me, we have a brand new young pair of hawks taking up
residence somewhere near our house. All I can say is squirrels beware!

Those tree rats eat more tomatoes from our garden than any other
critter. I hope the hawks eat well!

--
Maggie