Old 29-03-2018, 10:33 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
songbird[_2_] songbird[_2_] is offline

Default trellis for beans

Terry Coombs wrote:

Â* I'll be planting some of the white greasy beans songbird sent me (as
well as a bush variety), and am wondering about trellis requirements .

those came to me via Mr. Peek who used to post here but
i've not heard from him for quite some time. i'm glad they
are making it back further south so they can do better with
the longer season.

have a few feet of 6x6" welded concrete re-wire , will that work OK ? I
read that these can get over 7 feet tall , and that's why I ask .

those can easily top a 10ft fence (ours is 8ft and they reach
the top of that by the end of July or sooner). just put up what
you want to do and let them sprawl around after they hit the top.
i don't want anything higher than i can easily reach. just for
the reason that i don't want to mess with standing on top of
other things to do simple garden tasks. i don't need to tempt
fate that much.

I've
been using tomato cages made from this stuff for a few years now , works
great for them . Field peas like it too , but tend to crowd out the
'maters . I guess I could cut the re-wire in 7 foot lengths and stand
them up on end ... one consideration is blocking sun from other stuff -
I haven't made any decisions yet for exact planting layout except
tomatoes , strawberries , and salad stuff .

i put my climbing beans only on the north fence so that i don't
have to worry about them blocking the light to other plants.
the amount of space needed to grow a lot of the climbers as
compared to the semi-runners and bush type beans is why i largely
do not aim for pole beans for most of the gardens. i just don't
have that much field space or fence space for them.

interwoven cement reinforcing is likely just fine to use.
might last a bit longer than welded mesh that isn't interwoven
at all.

songbird