Old 30-03-2018, 02:10 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
[email protected] peek0703@gmail.com is offline

Default trellis for beans

On Thursday, March 29, 2018 at 11:26:04 AM UTC-4, Terry Coombs wrote:
Â* I'll be planting some of the white greasy beans songbird sent me (as
well as a bush variety), and am wondering about trellis requirements . I
have a few feet of 6x6" welded concrete re-wire , will that work OK ? I
read that these can get over 7 feet tall , and that's why I ask . I've
been using tomato cages made from this stuff for a few years now , works
great for them . Field peas like it too , but tend to crowd out the
'maters . I guess I could cut the re-wire in 7 foot lengths and stand
them up on end ... one consideration is blocking sun from other stuff -
I haven't made any decisions yet for exact planting layout except
tomatoes , strawberries , and salad stuff .

--
Snag
Ain't no dollar sign on

Hello bird and others, I'm finally back. Had some surgery that didn't produce the expected results, left me confined to a wheel chair. All the gardening I do anymore is in my mind.

You are correct about the greasy beans, they climb like crazy. I used to use a woven wire trellis set to 6'. The beans would climb to the top and either fall down and reclimb or become a woven tangle between rows (the shade is nice in hot weather). I've had to crawl between rows to pick.