Old 31-03-2018, 08:01 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Terry Coombs Terry Coombs is offline

Default Peat Pots

On 3/31/2018 1:13 PM, Ecnerwal wrote:
In article ,
Terry Coombs wrote:
I'm hoping to establish self-renewing/perennial
patches of flowers that will have flowers all summer for the bees . From
about mid-June on there's actually very little for them to forage on here .

I'm a fan of bee-balm, in various colors (red will also make happy
hummingbirds, but the bees will get theirs as well) among others. And
don't overlook clover and alfalfa (but if your soil tends to acid,
alfalfa can be difficult, or at least require a lot of lime to be happy.)

Our soil here is acid , had to lime the north end of the garden this
year . Bee Balm is one of the flowers I've planted , also penstemon , 2
kinds of poppies , liatris , lavender , alyssum , and borage . Marigolds
too , but I don't think the bees are attracted to them . *I* think
they're pretty . I did a lot of research to find plants that have both
extended bloom times and that attract bees and hummers - and that will
grow in this area . I've sown all of these outdoors with no discernible
effect - either they didn't come up , something ate the seeds , or ate
the tender new shoots .

--
Snag
Ain't no dollar sign on