Old 01-04-2018, 06:51 PM posted to rec.gardens
Casa de Masa[_3_] Casa de Masa[_3_] is offline

Default Post Hole Digger And Dry Farming Tomatoes This Season

On 3/31/2018 1:26 PM, Sheldon wrote:
On Sat, 31 Mar 2018 00:59:54 -0700 (PDT),

wrote:
Just curious- how did this work out? Posthole diggers /Tomatoes?

Posthole diggers are for when you want to make deep but narrow
holes... but doesn't loosen the soil radially for the plant roots to
expand. And unless the ground was previously tilled a posthole digger
can be backbreaking labor, especially if you hit a large rock and need
to dig it out to continue or start over with a new hole in a different
spot... by the time you dig a half dozen holes you'be be ready to
quit.

For tomatoes you don't need a lot of depth but you want a hole about
2' in diameter... much easier to accomplish with a garden spade... dig
down about 8" and to achieve more depth mound amended soil up about
8", and put in your plants in on an angle and cover the stems to the
first true leaves.. If you are going to do much planting you really
need a rototiller... for a home sized garden the Mantis is more than
adequate, and it's very easy to handle (an eight year old can use it),
plus it will easily dig holes for planting. Once I tested a Mantis at
a dealer I immediately bought one and sold my 8 HP beast. I bought
this one ten years ago and it has needed no repairs... twice a year it
tills my 50' X 50' vegetable garden plus does other chores.
https://www.amazon.com/Mantis-2-Cycl...70_&dpSrc=srch

Yer pretty tough fer such a little shit:

https://imgur.com/a/22Eqa