Old 06-04-2018, 08:38 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
songbird[_2_] songbird[_2_] is offline

Default starting back up for the year

After a warmer than usual winter (but nothing record-setting), we
have typical April weather down here. Lows around 60-ish; highs around
80. Clear with little to no rain. Spring is a dry season here.

i sure haven't seen much rain heading your ways recently...

we've still been well below average here. overnight
temperatures still hitting the teens.

The gardening year continues with the October "little marvel" peas
heading to compost today but the February "Thomas Laxton" peas are
covered with blossoms; no peas, yet. I'm thinking they'll benefit from
shading from at least afternoon sun, as does the spinach—a variety
called "Tyee", which is doing well in the warm weather but must be
shaded from direct sun. This is my second season of planting this
cultivar and it produces well in the variable wintertime temperatures
down here.

fresh peas...

The now defunct peas share a bed with turnips which are at the
"must harvest" point. They'll be blooming soon, if mildew doesn't cover
them first. I have some really late mustards and turnips started. If
grown rapidly, they usually usually yield a few croppings before
blooming.

i'm not sure i will see any turnip blooms early
this season. the two biggest areas where i have them
wandering around were upended or are being upended and
so no over-wintered turnips anyplace. diakon radishes
may have to substitute. those sure are monsters if
left go.

The "provider" bush snap-beans were planted far too early in
February and sort of marked time due to the chilly nights but now that
the weather seems sure-enough to be warming, they're finally perking up
a bit.

the earliest spring flowers here are usually crocuses
and some small bulb irises which often bloom through
snow or very cold weather. they don't seem to mind
being repeatedly frozen, but i'm not sure how they
manage it, flower blossom petals don't strike me as
very durable, but they've persisted for a week or two
now.

Today's gardening project is one of preparing a bed to receive
seeds of either "white acre" or "zipper cream" cowpeas. I intend to
grow both; just not sure where yet.

no gardening projects here today other than walking
outside to check traps and the den plugs. last time
i headed off new attempt by groundhog to make it back
to their den i sliced my hand on a sharp piece of
concrete/rock and so that is going to need another
day or two of healing before i can try to chop more
vines up. it doesn't matter, snowing and rain, windy,
cold, etc. i think next week we'll maybe see towards
50F. if the forecast is right.

Have seeds in for sweet peppers, hot peppers, eggplants, tomatoes.
Picked up more paper cups for okra seeds. I usually plant okra directly
into its beds but this year's different: The okra's eventual homes are
occupied by other plants that will limit okra seedlings' exposure to
sun.

i don't have any recall of the okra root ball of
the one time i grew it here - i know it was in a
very tough location and so would likely not have
been an accurate indication anyways. how long can
they be happy in a container that small before
needing to be transplanted?

Spent a little time today rehabbing the ginger bed. I'd thought it
all dead after an extremely dry summer followed by a few prolonged lows
in the high 20's. At any rate, DW discovered green buds so I spent a
little time removing chaff and redistributing the sprouting pieces.

*mmm* fresh ginger...

songbird