Old 10-04-2018, 08:51 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
songbird[_2_] songbird[_2_] is offline

Default starting back up for the year

Pavel314 wrote:
From the weather reports, it looks like last night was our last below-freezing night. My wife pulled up the garden cloth that covers the paths between the rows in the back quarter of the garden this morning and I tilled it up for her.

mm, smell of fresh dirt...

Lots of seeding trays in the greenhouse and cold frames, plus lots of healthy vegetables in her auxiliary greenhouses, the clear boxes I built to extend the growing season in the garden.

all would be very frozen here. it's been rather rediculous
compared to normal (whatever that may be), but i'm sure i'll
get over it.

I'll be planting the wild rice seed later this week, carefully following the directions that came with the seed packets. I've tried growing them several times before without success.

good luck!

if the wild rice spreads by stolons you may wish to have
a good border around it if our past experience is any thing
to go by. it sent runners out many-many feet travelling
along barriers, under black plastic, etc. very hard to
control until i ripped everything up and tracked all the
roots/stolons/runners and got them out of there.

songbird