Old 27-04-2018, 02:58 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Frank Frank is offline

Default Long Term Gardening

On 4/27/2018 7:35 AM, wrote:
On Thursday, April 26, 2018 at 3:19:20 PM UTC-4, Pavel314 wrote:
Last fall, we gathered several pails of black walnuts at a friend's farm. She has several large trees, which produce more nuts than she can use. I planted 32 in the back row of the garden and eight in seed trays but nothing has sprouted. I would have expected at least a few of the 40 planted to produce trees, as that's what nuts are for, at least from the point of view of the trees.

Paul

Could be that squirrels got them.

Maybe not planted correctly as I see husks should be removed first:

http://www.extension.umn.edu/garden/...-black-walnut/

Takes decades to get mature producing trees, I see also.

I'm now contending with many type trees I planted over 40 years ago.

My Chinese chestnuts are mature and I get far more than I need. There
is a weevil problem I cannot eradicate and local market would not buy
them. I'll have friends over to pickup what they want. OP lucky to
have one that gives him nuts.

My experiment in trying to grow English walnuts failed. Squirrels would
eat the nuts green off the trees and we got essentially none. Then wind
took its toll and blew them down. I had last one removed last month.