Old 12-05-2018, 01:23 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Terry Coombs Terry Coombs is offline

Default gradually getting there...

On 5/12/2018 6:26 AM, songbird wrote:
Terry Coombs wrote:
...re straw mulch...
Â* I've already tilled a couple of layers into the soil , it's made a
world of difference in moisture retention . Coupled with rows that cut
across the slope of the land it lets most of the rain soak in rather
than running off .

yes that's all going to help.

in some gardens, over many years, people will take
the soil that washes down and move it back to the
top as a regular part of their garden routine.

i terrace the areas i can, luckily i don't have that
much of a slope anywhere, but one location where the
front septic drainfield is at is raised up and that
then slopes towards the back (downwards through what i
call the North Garden). i don't have it formally
terraced because i keep playing around in there with
varous plantings.

always plenty to do for sure.

songbird

Â* I've also been working on terracing the garden . The lower third is
pretty much level , as is the top section . The middle is still sloped
some , I can only do so much without getting into the subsoil , but that
area is also deeply furrowed .

--
Snag
Ain't no dollar sign on