Old 16-05-2018, 12:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp is offline

Default Oleria Traversii seeds?

On Wed, 16 May 2018 09:03:25 +0100, Chris Hogg wrote:

On Wed, 16 May 2018 08:21:13 +0100, Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp
wrote:

Are olearia seeds a practical route to a hedge in the UK?

I cannot find a supplier, yet I'm told that the Olearia Traversii
grown here flower annually.

Regards

AB

I have two substantial hedges of OT. While it produces flowers of a
sort, I'm not aware that they have ever set seed. The recommended
method of propagation is by cuttings of half-ripe growth, say 6-8"
long with a heel and with the lower leaves stripped off leaving only a
few at the top. Best taken in late summer.

Thanks, it probably explains why I have a cuttings success rate of
around 5-10%

Half ripe? I usually took about 4-6 cm from the top of a branch. I
thought I saw somewhere that a freshly growing tip was going to root
more readily than older wood.

What is half ripe? is it the point where the hard wood gives way to
the softer growth?

Sory but my ignorance of gardening matters is all inclusive :-(

Regards

AB