Old 18-05-2018, 10:29 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Roger Tonkin[_2_] Roger Tonkin[_2_] is offline

Default Spacing vegetables

In article ,
says...

In article ,
Roger Tonkin wrote:
Now having very much smaller veggie plot, I'm in a quandary.

I have a number of veg plants to plant and am told the space
between rows (and plants), BUT I'll only have one row of each
veg, so if I have for example Peas @ 18", Sprouts @ 30",
Cabbage @ 24" and Beans 9" how should I approach spacing the
different rows. I have my own ideas, but am just wondering how
others do it?

I plant in multiple rows, e.g. double rows of carrots, 9" apart,
and triple rows of broad beans, 9" between two rows and one in
between, like this:

x x x x x ---

x x x x | 9"

x x x x x ---

Also, I grow climbing beans (Phaseolus) and cucumber, and have
grown climbing peas (but can't get climbing snap ones this year).
Actually, my bean cage is 24'x12'x6' high, and I string it across
the top as well as the sides, and grow squashed underneath. You
can do that on a less ambitious scale, too :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Yes I used to do similar, but the current question is what
spacing should I give between a row of peas (18" between rows)
and a row of sprouts next to them (30" between rows)!

--
Roger T

700 ft up in Mid-Wales

---