Old 21-05-2018, 03:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
[email protected] wardjfb@hotmail.co.uk is offline

Default Spacing vegetables

On Thursday, 17 May 2018 22:08:36 UTC+1, Roger Tonkin wrote:
Now having very much smaller veggie plot, I'm in a quandary.

I have a number of veg plants to plant and am told the space
between rows (and plants), BUT I'll only have one row of each
veg, so if I have for example Peas @ 18", Sprouts @ 30",
Cabbage @ 24" and Beans 9" how should I approach spacing the
different rows. I have my own ideas, but am just wondering how
others do it?

--
Roger T

700 ft up in Mid-Wales

---
https://www.avg.com

OUP published an interesting book a few years ago, sadly now out of print. It suggested that the spacing on seed packets are based on industrial farming practices. In a smaller plot closer spacing can give a higher overall yield despite less per plant. I have followed this advice successfully for many years.
Jonathan