Old 22-05-2018, 01:08 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jim S Jim S is offline

Default Spacing vegetables

On Mon, 21 May 2018 20:17:29 +0100, Jim S wrote:

On Mon, 21 May 2018 07:06:27 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

On Thursday, 17 May 2018 22:08:36 UTC+1, Roger Tonkin wrote:
Now having very much smaller veggie plot, I'm in a quandary.

I have a number of veg plants to plant and am told the space
between rows (and plants), BUT I'll only have one row of each
veg, so if I have for example Peas @ 18", Sprouts @ 30",
Cabbage @ 24" and Beans 9" how should I approach spacing the
different rows. I have my own ideas, but am just wondering how
others do it?

--
Roger T

700 ft up in Mid-Wales

---
https://www.avg.com

OUP published an interesting book a few years ago, sadly now out of print. It suggested that the spacing on seed packets are based on industrial farming practices. In a smaller plot closer spacing can give a higher overall yield despite less per plant. I have followed this advice successfully for many years.
Jonathan

I had those books (parts I & II). I thought they were RHS, but no matter.
There was lots of trials which seemed to show that if you planted closely
the size was smaller, but the total yield was greater.
They also went on to talk about, not planting small crops on the shaded
side of eg brassicas, interplanting carrots with spring onions, planting
potatoes under polythene.
It all means much less now that f1 hybrids all crop on the same day
The more I write, the more I regret losing them.
Race you to Amazon.

It's here Know & Grow Vegetables by Salter & Bleasdale - even a Kindle
vesion http://tinyurl.com/y9xxe3kl
--
Jim S