Old 07-06-2018, 01:35 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
songbird[_2_] songbird[_2_] is offline

Default For songbird

Terry Coombs wrote:
Â* Well , here's hoping you get enough for a few beans to cook and some
for seed . I don't know how I'd manage with a growing season as short as
yours ... I also have big gaps in my row of those Mattie B. beans but I
think there are enough for a good test to see if we like them . Let me
know if yours fail , I'll send some fresh seed .

ok, i haven't got my planting map out yet to
see what is up and what isn't. if any make it
i'll be able to compare them to the Kermit's
Smokey Mountain beans which are supposed to be
another southern heirloom.

we usually have 100-120 days for frost free
growing, so it's not too bad. i'd have liked
to have everything planted inside the fence by
now, but it will be another few days. already
have bean sprouts going from the first few
plantings.

sunshine and warmth is getting things growing
quickly. tomatoes growing quick, saw a few flowers
on there and also cucumbers starting to get some
blooms.

picked some strawberries today. dang, this
harvest isn't very good. the garden i renovated
last fall didn't have enough time to get the
plants established and that is a complete bust.
i'm going to try to get at least one batch of
jam made tonight. it might be the only one
this season using my own berries. may have to
*shudder* buy some to make more jam.

songbird