Old 11-06-2018, 12:21 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
T[_4_] T[_4_] is offline

Default Peat Pots

On 03/15/2018 06:06 AM, Terry Coombs wrote:
and **** Poor Performance . I don't understand it , the same seed , soil
, and growing conditions and the plastic cells far outdo the little
strips of 8 peat pots . I like the concept , just slit it and bury it
without disturbing the roots too much . But the whole thing doesn't work
unless the seedlings actually grow . I planted 4 kinds of peppers in
these , multiple seeds per cell because I know they're old and the germ
rate is likely low - did the same with some other peppers and the
tomatoes in the plastic cells . The peat pots had exactly 2 seeds
germinate of probably 64 or more seeds . The plastic were over-run , and
in fact all the seedlings now in peat were germinated in plastic . Even
allowing for the stress of being moved , they just ain't gettin' it .
They have nice color , look good , just aren't growing as fast . I'm
wondering if I need some supplemental N or something - maybe a light
shot of Miracle Grow , since it's high in N at 24/8/16 . I just don't
know what to do at this point , but I'd like to save these seedlings .
They're extras to me , but I planned to give them to a neighbor (the one
with the rabbits) . He works for a living and doesn't have the time I do
to devote to this stuff .

I have a barrel I grow cherry tomatoes in. Every year a
weed decides it is a nice place to grow and it is. Not
an issue because the solid is really loose easy to pull
weeds out of.

Well this years foolish weed, when I pulled him out, up
comes the weed and an intact peat pot.

Chuckle