Old 13-06-2018, 03:14 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default What soil for planters?

On 6/12/2018 6:43 PM, Don Wiss wrote:
I am working on a new deck. You can see the plans he
http://donwiss.com/manuals/house/upper-deck-garden/

My first step is to buy soil. These being large planters I figured I would
buy garden soil. But the bags clearly state for in-ground use. That leaves
potting soil!?

I'm hoping to plant native perennials. Would they like potting soil?

Don http://foraging.com/ e-mail at page bottom.

See "My Potting Mix" at
http://www.rossde.com/garden/garden_potting_mix.html. You will find
that it takes a large amount of sand and peat moss and much effort.
However, the results are usually excellent; and it does not cost much.

Note that you might have to adjust the proportions, depending on what
kinds of plants you are planting. For example, if you are in southern
California (as I am) and use native plants from this area, you will need
to increase the amount of sand relative to peat moss because our natives
require perfect drainage. You will also have to reduce the sulfates
since our natives are accustomed to alkaline soils. Etc, etc.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean, see