Old 13-06-2018, 11:15 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Recommendations for climbing cover?

On 12/06/2018 10:05, wrote:
On 11/06/2018 22:40, Jeff Layman wrote:
On 11/06/18 21:48,
wrote:
I've recently clad the oil tank shed in weld mesh - the sheets of 6mm
200x200mm reinforcing mesh used for concrete - and now need to decide
what to plant around the outside of it. The aim is to find decorative
plants that will climb and cover the mesh - one side is in permanent
shade but the rest are sunny. The soil is clay. As a starter I've got a
Dublin Bay rose and Clematis Montana but I'd welcome some suggestions,
ideally for plants that will cover quickly, be decorative and some that
will give a bit of coverage in the winter ... ?

Where are you? you'll get a somewhat greater choice of plants in
Land's End than you will in John o'Groats.

Oops, a very important bit of info missed: the west, near the Welsh
borders.

For the shady side I reckon Hydrangea Petiolaris is nice if slow to get
started and maybe clematis or honeysuckle as the sunny side climbers.
Variagated ivy isn't too bad as long as you keep on top of it.

I hope the shed that the oil tank is inside isn't made of wood!

--
Regards,
Martin Brown