Old 19-06-2018, 11:54 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
songbird[_2_] songbird[_2_] is offline

Default Our first tomato

Terry Coombs wrote:
Â* I've also got some white greasy beans about 3" long ... how big do I
want to let them get before picking some to cook green ?

greasy beans are one of the beans that taste ok
for quite some time even after the beans plump up
the pod, but before they start dying off. so as
long as you want them to go, let them, of course
you also want to leave some for seeds and they do
take a long time to go.

i sample them all along, but most of the beans i
eat fresh i get from the wax and shorter green
bean plants.

have you tried any fresh and crunchy? that's my
most favorite way to eat almost all beans if they're
suitable. one of my favorite things to do is to see
if a new variety is edible when still crunchy and
then hope to have enough to cook a few up lightly
steamed and then i have to wait a bit and see if
they're good as a shelling bean and then as a dry
bean. i'm always happy to find a bean that works
more than a single way, but then again i like so
many dry beans when they're cooked up it's ok if
they only work out that ways too...

Everything is
just bustin' out , you can almost see the okra grow , same with the
beans and field peas . Most of my tomatoes are 5 feet tall or better and
coming over the tops of the cages except the Roma's , they're only 4'
tall . I'm going to call the county extension office and thank them ...
I firmly believe the amendments they suggested have made all the
difference . Well , that and the liberal application of rabbit droppings .

rabbit droppings are excellent worm food.

songbird