Old 20-06-2018, 04:28 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
songbird[_2_] songbird[_2_] is offline

Default My first squash bug

Terry Coombs wrote:
Â* I'm trying to control the squash bugs here ... this is the first year
they have been a problem . Does DiPel (BTk) or DE (I dusted a little on
the acorns last night) work at all ? I have another "natural"
insecticide , but hesitate to use it since the bees are foraging on the
blossoms . Destroying the eggs and bugs as I find them has helped , but
I missed a few ... damn them little buggers are fast !

i've never used any biological larval control for any
creature here because i do not like the possible harm to
other larval creatures like the butterflies that may be
around. while i have had a lot of Japanese beetles at
times i'm ok with them and hand picking them off if i
have to...

i've also never actually gone out to find the eggs
or larva for the borers. i figure if the squash plants
are tough enough they'll survive and i just don't like
being in the baby the plant regime of things if i can
possibly help it. what doesn't survive here over time
gets replaced by things that do.

songbird