Old 20-06-2018, 08:14 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Terry Coombs Terry Coombs is offline

Default My first squash bug

On 6/20/2018 10:54 AM, wrote:
On Wednesday, June 20, 2018 at 8:46:49 AM UTC-4, Terry Coombs wrote:
On 6/20/2018 7:11 AM, songbird wrote:
T wrote:
death to squash bugs
death to earwigs
death to weeds
p.s. rumbo squash, may be too many carbs for
you, but eaten in moderation may be ok or for
others in family or just used to smother weeds
and provide a vigorous ground cover.

repeat suggestion of trombonico squash as
replacement for zukes... keep seeing people
having better luck with it in face of pest
pressures.

songbird

Â* I'm trying to control the squash bugs here ... this is the first year
they have been a problem . Does DiPel (BTk) or DE (I dusted a little on
the acorns last night) work at all ? I have another "natural"
insecticide , but hesitate to use it since the bees are foraging on the
blossoms . Destroying the eggs and bugs as I find them has helped , but
I missed a few ... damn them little buggers are fast !

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Dust a bit of that DE near the root section of the plant. It will kill hatching borers before they can get into the plant. Just remember to dust again after a rain.

Â* These are not borers , they are squash bugs , a totally different
critter . Here's a link :
https://www.almanac.com/pest/squash-bugs .
They lay small masses of small (1 mm?) brown spherical eggs on the
underside of a leaf . When they hatch the babies eat the leaf - and more .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old