Old 23-06-2018, 06:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
david david is offline

Default Cucumber distortion

On 23/06/2018 18:28, Nick Maclaren wrote:
Has anyone seen anything like this, NOT from hormone weedkiller.
Two out of three plants developed this way, but side shoots seem to
be normal. I have used no weedkiller near them, and suspect something
weather-related.

This isn't the first time I have seen this on cucurbits, and it seems
to be highly correlated with the source of the seed. I suspect a virus
in the parent plant, as it has happened to saved seed as well, but why
have they then seemed to recover.

http://imgur.com/kTRrnx3.jpg
http://imgur.com/OsYRN8s.jpg

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

I seem to remember the odd plant like that when I was market gardening
many years ago, before all the hormone weedkillers.
We always said Genetic.