Old 30-06-2018, 03:53 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
songbird[_2_] songbird[_2_] is offline

Default Germinating Grass

funkytwig wrote:

I know I left it a bit late but have patched my lawn with grass
seed/peat. It's quite sunny but it we only get direct sunlight for
around 6 hours a day (if that) so my question is how often should I
water. Was thinking of every other day but don't want to over water.

wait until cooler temperatures for best results.
seeding grass in the spring/early summer is a very
tough time because it is hard to keep it consistently
moist and there are a lot of weed seeds sprouting
which will give the grass a lot of competition.

Also, should I put down grass food during germination?

no. don't fertilize plants until they are actively
growing. and, well, most of what you put on grass ends
up running off so better to let the rain bring the
fertilizer for you.

mulching mower, set it as high as it will go and still
look ok for you. mow regularly. feed the worms and the
worms will feed the grass.

songbird