Old 30-06-2018, 08:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mark Rand Mark Rand is offline

Default Quick logic check - blossom to ripe fruit on cherry tomatoes

On Sat, 30 Jun 2018 20:40:03 +0100, David
wrote:

Right, I'll ad a further problem, I an growing a Black tomato this year,
just one, but my problem is that the young fruit starts out black so How
will I know when it's ripe?

On the Indigo Rose ones that I grew last year and this year, the bits of the
fruit that are exposed to sunlight are black and the shaded parts tend to stay
green for a while. They aren't ripe until the shaded parts are red or, if all
black, then go by the softness of the fruit.

Might not bother growing them again, Interesting smokey taste, but late
developing fruit last year and 0% germination from a packet of seeds this
year, despite other varieties coming up ok. Ended up buying a plant.

Mark Rand
Rugby
Warwickshire