Old 17-07-2018, 12:12 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Andy Parker Andy Parker is offline

Default Recommendations for long border.

I have a project to plant up a "border" 70 metres long and about a metre
wide in an area of a public park that our Society lease. It faces East or
ENE and is backed by a 3 foot retaining wall and railings above that.
Soil is due to be tipped there shortly but it looks more like clay to me.
Ideally the border will be at least partially evergreen, under 3 metres
tall, low maintenance and look OK next July when we have a big anniversary
event.
I'm no gardener although I aspire to improve.
I envisage mainly shrubs and hardy annuals with herbacious perennials for
colour?
As usual with these things the budget is two thirds of sod all so ideas for
stuff I can bring on at home from cuttings etc. and plant out in Autumn or
Spring as appropriate would be ideal.
I'm in Cumbria almost at sea level.
I will put in Forsythia because I have fond childhood memories of it, dwarf
rhododendron 'cos I have some. There is a nice cotoneaster already but they
are quite slow growing I suspect. The park has a lot of Berberis but that is
vicious and I'd rather avoid it since it is probably going to be mainly me
maintaining this.

Suggestions please.

Andy Parker