Old 18-07-2018, 10:17 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Terry Coombs Terry Coombs is offline

Default Tiny seed question

On 7/18/2018 3:01 PM, T wrote:
Hi All,

I have quail.Â* They will eat an seed they find on
the surface.

Question on how to plant tiny seeds.

When they packet says to plant the 1/4" deep, how
do you guys keep them from floating back out of
their holes when you water them.Â* The watering also
messes with the first 1/4" of the soil too.

I have tried compacting the soil but it makes
no difference.

Do you just give up and plant them 1/2" deep?

Many thanks,
-T

Spread some straw over them after planting . Not a lot , just enough to
break up the water spray so it doesn't wash that top layer .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

---