Old 20-07-2018, 05:42 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
songbird[_2_] songbird[_2_] is offline

Default I need my potato onions looked at

T wrote:
Hi All,

My potato onions are starting to look a little ragged.
Is it time to dig them up yet?

https://ibb.co/cz6t3d

nothing wrong with using them any time you
want as they are an onion right? so use them
now or after they've died back completely or
and place in between.

in general with bulbed crops like onions
you'll get the biggest bulb when the leaves
have died back almost completely, but many
people will lift their onions before that
stage because of chances of them rotting in
more moist climates. and they need to dry
to get ready for storage. if you wait too
long into the cooler and wetter weather you
may not get them dried well enough, etc.

dig some up and look at them. when you
get enough of them growing you can pull some
every once in a while just to get a sense of
how they grow and when they divide and if
they go dormant and for how long, how the
new bulbs form...

songbird