Old 22-07-2018, 04:16 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Terry Coombs Terry Coombs is offline

Default The first of many

On 7/22/2018 9:10 AM, songbird wrote:
Terry Coombs wrote:
Â* There was air trapped down between the (quartered) tomatoes , one of
the jars isn't near full . And the instructions said to stir things
around in there to let it out - I didn't . They really are easy , but
this is the first time I've done it instead of the wife . She knows all
the tricks I'm learning ... but she has to work and wasn't here to help
. And those 'maters needed cannin' right away .

oh, ok, now i get it, when we put up tomato chunks
there is usually enough liquid that such air pockets
aren't in there that much. so perhaps you are using
a less juicy tomato than we are (beefsteaks).

by the time i have the pot of tomatoes heated
through for putting in jars they are mostly
liquid with chunks. a few taps or pokes and
they bubble up. i don't really worry about it.
with acidic things a little air bubble isn't
going to affect much at all. after a while i'm
sure that it equalizes so that the little oxygen
or whatever in there disperses. nitrogen being
fairly inert, etc. yeah, i just don't worry...

the only times we've had issues with spoiling
was one season when we had tomatoes with a lot
of intrusions from the outer skin inwards and if
we missed one of those and it was already starting
to rot then it could ruin that jar. we only had
one or two jars go off from that (out of several
thousand). Mom's eyes being the way they are
she sometimes can't see so i do actually try to
do quality control and while i'm stirring the pots
of tomatoes as they heat up i often can find things
we've missed that i can pick out. there's enough
acid in them that i could probably leave them in
there but i'm picky. i doubt anyone other than
me would notice (a very micro tiny speck and i'll
track it down and get it out of there).

those tomatoes were a b*tch to process...

http://www.anthive.com/img/edibles/t...Tomato_thm.jpg

songbird

Â* Dayummmm ! Were they all like that ?

--