Old 23-07-2018, 02:10 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Terry Coombs Terry Coombs is offline

Default Tomato pesticides, anything better than Malathion?

On 7/22/2018 2:21 PM, songbird wrote:
Terry Coombs wrote:
Â* I've never used silver . DE works well for some bugs , esp. those
with hard outer shells like beetlesÂ* but for hornworms the solution is
Dipel , also known as Bacillus Thurigensis Kurstaki . I find it easier
to get a uniform application using dust and a small hand pump duster . I
use the same unit to apply DE - the thing is that if DE gets wet it
loses effectiveness and must be re-applied . We get heavy dew here
almost daily this time of year ...

i don't see many bugs on the tomatoes i want to
discourage. i much prefer to not cause problems
by spraying anything if i can help it. so far so
good.

songbird

Â* I take exception to a caterpillar/worm that eats all the foliage -
and green tomatoes - off my tomato plants . I've been plucking and
stomping , but as much fun as that is it gets old after a while . BtK is
harmful only to certain caterpillar-type pests . DE will also affect
pollinators , which is one of the reasons I don't often use it . I'm
VERY careful with what I use and when , I'd hate to poison my bees .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old