Old 28-07-2018, 07:53 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Ray[_5_] Ray[_5_] is offline

Default Growing two orchids in one pot?

I wouldn't worry about two plants in a pot. As long as they are clean
and healthy when re-potting and you keep them healthy with proper care,
no problem. Quite often we will find multi plants in one pot at Costco.
However, do not use soil. These are best planted in bark.

On 7/27/2018 9:26 PM, wrote:
On Tuesday, August 27, 2002 at 6:37:26 PM UTC-7, Katja Schulz wrote:
I am relatively new to orchid growing. I got a pink Phalaenopsis as a
present a couple of years ago, and when I got it to bloom a second
time, I got so excited that I bought another one, this one pure white
(also Phalaenopsis). Unfortunately, I don't know the species for
either.

Both plants are currently finishing a flowering bout, and I am
thinking about doing my very first orchid repotting in a few weeks.
Would it be a terribly bad thing to put the two plants into one pot?
I like the idea of having their flowers in a display next to one
another (if I can make that happen again), and I am thinking of
getting a relatively large oval bowl that would hold both plants
comfortably on opposite sides. There would probably be some touching
of roots & competing for resources sooner or later, and I wonder if
maybe orchids are very bad at dealing with that sort of thing.

I would appreciate input from anybody who has had experience with
doublepotting. Thanks in advance.

Katja

Katja,

I have been wondering about the same thing. I so not have much experience and they mentioned cross contamination of disease. But, if my plants are next together now, I don't see why they can't share the same soil in a big pot. That is what I'm going to try.

Donna

---
https://www.avg.com