Old 28-07-2018, 12:04 PM
EH11 EH11 is offline
Registered User

Default Lawn Seeding up Advice

Hi,
New to the forum and looking for some assistance with lawn care. I have a front and back lawn that I need to treat roughly twice a year for weeds and to fertilize. I generally use evergreen 4 in 1 and it seems to be largely ok. I do get a fair bit of moss in one area, due to the drainage - not bad enough however that I want to dig in a drain.
Anyway, I would like to seed up the lawn as it's bare in patches, primarily as it hasn't been seeded up for a while and previous attempts to seed up haven't been great.
I want to apply the 4 in 1 and also seed up but not sure what order I should do each job. I live in Scotland and don't want to wait until September when the temperatures can drop a fair bit.
Is it acceptable to apply the evergreen 4 in 1 in early August then wait a couple of weeks before scarifying and aerating the lawn. At this point, I was going to try and rough up the bare spots on the lawn then apply a pre seed fertiliser and a mix of top soil and seed to seed up.
Any guidance would be appreciated. As I touched on, previous attempts to seed up have been underwhelming.
One positive, I aerated the lawn in spring, simply using a fork and wiggling it to make decent size holes. I didn't do the full lawn and it's absolutely amazing how much healthier - thicker, greener the aerated piece of lawn is compared to the no aerated. I'll try and do this across the lawn in spring and autumn in the future.
Thanks in advance for any help.