Old 28-07-2018, 02:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Unusual suckering

In article ,
Charlie Pridham wrote:
On 27/07/2018 09:13, Jeff Layman wrote:
Is it due to the hot weather?

I've got a Clerodendron trichotomum which has thrown a sucker over a
metre from the original plant. I know C. bungei suckers like mad (I've
got one) but in 20 years of growing C. trichotomum I've never seen a
sucker. There are several reports on the "Dave's Garden" page for C.
trichotomum about suckering, but it is common in the USA to experience
temperatures we've been having recently.

I've also got a Wisteria floribunda "Black Dragon" throwing suckers to
some distance. I've had the odd local sucker, which is not uncommon, but
never so many as this year and so far away (1.5m) from the main plant.

Anyone seeing this sort of growth with these or other plants not seen
previously?

No, but I am envious, Wisteria are difficult to do from cuttings so a
nice supply of rooted suckers would be lovely!!

I dug up a rooted sucker of Chaenomeles "nivalis", and planted it
elsewhere, but it has never established - it hasn't died, but hasn't
grown because it has never developed proper roots. I have had
similar experiences with other such suckers and cuttings, and I don't
know why.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.