Old 01-08-2018, 06:49 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
T[_4_] T[_4_] is offline

Default I need blackberry help

On 07/31/2018 04:58 PM, songbird wrote:
T wrote:
On 07/30/2018 07:38 PM, songbird wrote:
T wrote:
On 07/29/2018 10:15 AM, songbird wrote:
blackberries i love but won't likely ever grow them.
blueberries are much further up my list of someday plants.

You wouldn't happen to know anyone who grows bilberries for sale?

no, i've never looked for them, but a quick
search did find suppliers so you should be
able to find someone...

songbird

I couldn't find any. Just seed supplier. What search did you use?

https://www.google.com/search?q=bilberry+plant+for+sale

in looking at the places that had them i noticed that they
all said what i suspected, these are wet/moisture loving
plants that grow naturally near bogs and probably also need
sandy acidic soil. i kinda doubt that you'll have very
good luck growing them in an arid climate with alkaline
soil.

songbird

Hi Songbird,

The search came up with only overseas sellers of plants.

I see the same thing you ar seeing:

Bilberries are found in acidic, nutrient-poor soils
throughout the temperate and subarctic regions of the world.
(Wikipedia)

Well, I have cold weather and I can fix the acidity of the
soil. And I picked out the wettest part of my garden.

So far my Goji's are going great guns and three of my four
Chokeberries (not cherries) are growing well. And, I finally
found a source of those blackberries with the small seeds
that sells plants.

And I am getting really suspicious of those zero germination
seeds I have been getting: bilberries, blackberries, Bit Time
radish (1 in 10 germinate), Bora King radish (1 in 10 germinate),
and Imai Early Yellow Onion (zero germination).

Me thinks they are getting irradiated through customs.

-T