Old 08-08-2018, 11:55 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Raspberry pruning conundrum

On 08/08/2018 11:07, Broadback wrote:
This is the time of year I prune my raspberries. I cut off last years
canes then tie up this years ready for next years crop. This year
however an inordinate number of this years canes have fruited, If I cut
those off which I normally do it will seriously deplete next years crop.
What procedure should I follow?

I leave my canes growing on until the leaves turn brown in the hope that
they will put more energy back into the roots. It has been a funny year.

One benefit is that outdoor tomatoes have done well ever if all the
really thirsty things have turned up their toes or failed to perform.
Some lawns round here look like coconut matting rather than grass!

--
Regards,
Martin Brown