Old 11-08-2018, 07:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Tina Tina is offline

Default Butterflies in 2018

On 08/08/2018 10:42, Martin Brown wrote:
Although it has been very warm this year there has been a real shortage
of interesting butterflies in North Yorkshire with many cabbage whites
and hardly any tortoise shells, red admirals or peacocks.

In a normal year we would expect the ratio to be tortoise shells as the
most common followed by cabbage whites and a good number of everything
else. I haven't seen any rarer butterflies or moths this year

A hummingbird hawkmoth has been seen recently here though not by me.
I grow Pink Valerian (Centranthus ruber) to attract them. It is a bit of
a thug but it brings in plenty of butterflies as do the budleias.

Same here in Leicestershire, Martin. I saw Brimstones and Orange tips
early in the year, but only 2 tortoiseshells, no peacocks or red
admirals now. I have two buddleias and deliberately grow nettles for
caterpillars. It's a bit worrying.