Old 15-08-2018, 07:52 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
T[_4_] T[_4_] is offline

Default Well no wonder !

On 08/12/2018 03:50 PM, Frank wrote:
On 8/12/2018 4:43 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
On 8/12/2018 2:28 PM, Frank wrote:
On 8/12/2018 7:50 AM, Terry Coombs wrote:
Â*Â* Seems that in the last week or two something(s) have been
marauding my tomato patch . I thought I had it better protected ...
yesterday afternoon I set up my game cam in the corner where they've
been eating their ill-gotten gains , only to discover there are 3
shifts ... late afternoon/early evening , the squirrels dine , then
after dark the raccoons come in , followed later by the 'possums .
Looks like I need to improve the protection out there . I have to
admit , the west side is hard to get to because of the wild
blackberries and I've let the chicken wire and 'lectric wires get
overgrown a little . It's been working so well until recently that
I've become complacent , and that's gotta end . I'm not certain if
they're crawling under the chicken wire or going over , probably the
latter since there are sags that weren't there when I installed it .
Either way , I'll be out there today tightening things up in an
effort to stop it - all the ripe or nearly ripe 'maters are gone ,
and they've started in on the green ones , I gotta do something or
this will be the end of tomato season for this year . And I've got a
lot more jars to fill .

Groundhogs are eating my neighbors tomatoes.Â* Time for the Hav-a-hart
trap.

Â*Â* OK , I know most of y'all don't have the conditions I do here
living out in the woods . So trap the l'il sucker , carry him out into
the woods (so to speak) and cap him there .

If I could shoot out back, I'd use my .22LR.Â* Trapping laws vary and
around here you can trap and kill but not release off your property.Â* I
trap and release anyway.Â* When I was still working in the lab with
access to chemicals an older chemist told me to pour a bottle of
chloroform down the groundhog's burrow where the heavy vapor would
settle underground in the tunnel bottom.Â* Groundhog would go in and get
anesthetized permanently.Â* It worked for one in my back yard.

Have you tried dry ice down their holes?